Wow! Another birthday?! It’s like there is one every day or something…
Celebrate any birthday you want, but today we will be highlighting a very nerdy birthday, Candice Kristina Patton! An actress best known for her role as none other than Iris West in The CW television series The Flash. And shes in other stuff too, but it’s my article and I don’t care about that. To me, Iris is one of the BEST characters in The CW series of The Flash and so, let’s find out a few fun facts about her and I’ll share my very bias favorite comics of The Flash.
- Not only has she been in The Flash, but a few others of nerdy note that shes been in are Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl. Yes, all DC. DC is well known for their TV series crossovers.
- The Flash is shot in Vancouver 9 months out of the year, but she says she is more recognized in California than anywhere else. Maybe she doesn’t have time to go out much besides being on set while in Vancouver? Or maybe Canadians are just too polite.
- Patton mentioned that before The Flash, she had “serious moments of wanting to quit the business”. Good thing she hung in there! She’s one of my favorite parts of the series.
- If you did not know this, Iris, who is girlfriend and then wife to The Flash, is white in the comics. So I hope you can see the impact of the following comment Patton has been quoted saying: “I’m incredibly honored by the impact Iris West has had on so many women and especially women of color. I meet so many women around the world who are empowered by seeing a black leading female on a show like The Flash.”
- Patton and her character Iris both love coffee. Patton says she starts each morning with Bulletproof coffee which is blended with MCT oil and grass-fed butter. I’m more of a tea person myself, so I don’t really know this drink but it sounds… scary.
- Patton brings her dog Zoë to set each day and stays in her trailer and says there are multiple dogs around the set belonging to various actors. Now that’s my kind of environment! I wonder when the dogs will get an on screen cameo.
So now that we found out a few fun facts about Patton and her character Iris West, it is time for my very biased favorite comics of The Flash. Sadly I have no recommendations for Iris comics, but hopefully in the future I will get to read some good ones. For DC I’m more of a Batman fan but have read some and do own a physical print of one of the comics below, I’ll let you guess which one. AND if you have some favorite comic recommendations of Iris, I’d love to hear them in the comments!
The most important storyline to the Flash’s history has to be none other than Flashpoint. The storyline involves Barry Allen’s pain at losing his mother causing him in his grief to go back in time and save her from Thawne, creating a new reality in which she survived, but other’s changed. In this world, Thomas Wayne became Batman and Martha Wayne became the Joker after Bruce’s life ended in an alleyway, while Aquaman and Wonder Woman went to war with one another and Barry found himself powerless. This story ends up creating future storylines, including the larger story of Rebirth.
The road to DOOMSDAY CLOCK begins here. During the unforgettable events of DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH, Batman found a mystery he can’t even begin to solve a strange bloodstained smiley-face button embedded in the Batcave wall. All analysis suggests the button is not of this universe…so where did it come from? And who left it here? These are questions only the Flash can help answer.
Witness the final fate of the Flash! The key chapter of DC’s Multiverse-shattering miniseries is reprinted in a new facsimile edition, timed with the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover between DC’s CW TV shows. In “A Flash of the Lightning,” one of the most famous superhero death stories in comic book history, Barry Allen risks everything to save billions-sacrificing his own life to stop the Anti-Monitor’s antimatter cannon.
Happy Birthday Candice Patton, and happy birthday to anyone else who is celebrating today… but mostly Candice because it’s my article so there! Let me know your favorite Iris moments, favorite Flash comics, and even any favorite Flash memes in the comments. And I’ll catch you next time, same Nerd-Time, same Nerd-Channel!