D23 Expo is later this week. Are you excited? Well we are here to help you manage all the information that is out with regards to the convention.
When Is The Convention?
Oh boy, you are in trouble if this is your first question. Well it’s an easy answer at least. The convention is Friday August 23, 2019 through August 25, 2019. The convention runs from the hours of 9:00 a.m. till 7:00 p.m.
Want To Get Tickets?
I’m sad to inform you though that if you haven’t obtained tickets yet, then you are out of luck, as tickets for D23 Expo 2019 are already sold out.
Tickets were $89 for adults, and $69 for children. Gold members could however pick up tickets for $10 less a ticket. Gold members could also buy up to two additional discount tickets for friends, and Gold family members could purchase up to four additional discount tickets. Keep in mind, while Disney is child friendly, they are not babysitters, and conventions can still be dangerous, as is any large crowd areas. Per convention rules, attendees under 14 must be with an attendee who is at least 14 years old, but preferably older.
If you think the Gold Membership discount might make it worth going for the gold, wait a bit. We are going to break down what Gold Membership does for convention goers in a little bit lower.
Keep in Mind that if you are bringing in Drones, Hoverboards, or selfie sticks, you may have a problem because those items are banned from the convention, like most other conventions.
Changes to the Tickets:
Did you already get tickets, well this year the D23 Expo badges are taking a page from San Diego Comic Con, and other conventions, as they make the jump to RFID, but unlike other conventions there is a serious reason why it’s a good thing for D23 Expo attendies.
Using the website, or the D23 Expo official app, fans can activate their badge, and be able to gather amazing opportunities, pictures, and information throughout the convention.
- With your badge activated you can secure advance reservations for shows and stores with StagePass. You can reserve two StagePasses per day, as long as they are for different stages. So choose wisely!
- Use PhotoPass to keep stored any pictures taken by staff during the convention, just by having your badge scanned, similar to the program of the same name at disneyland.
- TalentPass is a service in which you cna get reservations for signatures and photos with convention guests. Reserve up to three TalentPasses per day.
What Benefit Do Gold Members Get At D23?
Gold Members and Gold Family Members get a handful of pretty amazing benefit throughout the convention. Let me tell you about some of them.
- A commemorative gift, an exclusive collectible print, created by Disney artist Eric Tan.
- Access to the D23 Gold Member Fan Lounge, which has cell phone chargers, prizes, and drinks.
- Limited priority queueing for Hall D23 and D23 Expo Arena.
- Discounts offers at select retail and partners.
Discounts are available to Gold Members are at this specific Vendors/Booths listed here:
American Tourister • H20+ • Raw • Threads • Otter Box • FiGPin • Folkmanis® Puppets
Select Brands, Inc. • Sunstaches • What’s Your Passion Jewelry • Iron Studios
Disney X RockLove Popup Boutique • A.T. Cross • Dark Horse Comics • Steiff • Happy Feet Slippers
Monogram International, Inc. • Thomas Kinkade Studios and Dowdle Folk Art
Disney Fine Art and Cyclops Print Works • TASCHEN • Bésame Cosmetics, Inc.
The Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco • Life Is Tech • Walt Disney Television Store
If you are a person who joined after August 2nd and have not received their Gold Card, if you head to the North Hall, you can pick up a temporary card, but only for late purchasers. If you lost your card, you can’t get a replacement at the convention.
So you can still get Gold Membership Here, and be able to take advantage as long as you head to the North Hall.
Cosplayers Take Note of Rules
Unlike the Disneyland parks, cosplay is allowed here, so don’t worry about needing to meet bounding rules. All attendees, and not just children, are allowed to dress as what ever Disney, Marvel, or Star Wars character they want while at the D23 Expo. One rule though stands out, If you dress like Disney characters you may not pretend or imply that they you are doing so as an official of Disney. Also be careful as to not Creating lines for photos, collecting money, or signed autographs. Doing so is a fast way to get kicked out.
Jam City At D23
Our friends over at Jam City will be showcasing their games that they have done in association with Disney at multiple times on the D23 Center Stage!
- Friday August 23
- 11:00 a.m. through 11:30 a.m. they will be showcasing their new hush hush Disney game.
- 2:45 p.m. through 3:00 p.m. they will be showing off more of their mobile games.
- Saturday August 24
- 10:30 a.m. through 10:45 a.m. they will be showing off more of their mobile games.
- 6:00 P.m. through 6:15 P.m. they will be showing off more of their mobile games.
- Sunday August 24
- 11:30 a.m. through 11:45 a.m. they will be showing off more of their mobile games.
- 5:30 p.m. through 5:45 p.m. they will be showing off more of their mobile games.
The rest of this post is going to be covering our favorite things going on at the convention. Check out more about them here!
The app will give you the latest, and up to date information about whats going on during the convention, including an interactive map.
Need to know who is presenting, what is screening, or just favorite what you want before hand to get reminders. If you connect your Expo badge in the app, you can even check your confirmed reservations during the convention.
D23 Expo Is Bringing Photo Walls To The Convention!
Want a unique and amazing photo-op? Then head to the Photo Walls, by Center Stage, at D23 Expo as soon as you get in! If you share any of your photos on social media, make sure to tag the convention with #D23Expo and @DisneyD23. Maybe they will sure them along?
Take amazing and unique photo ops with these awesome photos:
- Donald Duck Photo Wall: Donald is 85 years old this year. To celebrate Disney has a collage of his many exasperated expressions.
- The Little Mermaid Photo Wall: Wanna take a Shellfie? You too can be “Under the Sea” with this awesome photo to commemorate the 30th anniversary.
- Emperor’s New Groove Photo Wall:Holy hell it’s been a while since this movie came out, but it has plenty of fans still to this day. Show your fan cred with this super obscure photo wall!
Big Hero 6 Photo Wall.
- Baymax Photo Wall: Get a checkout from the overly skilled, and supper huggable healthcare robot Baymax. Well.. at least get a photo.
- A Goofy Movie Photo WallL Take your picture in front of the awesome Goofy movie that rounded out the character of Goofy finally. Awesome Possum!
- Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse Photo Wall: It all started with Mickey, and then shortly after. It’s hard to imagine them apart, so don’t! Take a picture to showcase the timeless romance of the two mice!
- Spider-Man Photo Wall: To help celebrate 80 Years of Marvel, with the 1960s Spider-man still that is so popular it was the end credit scene in the new Into the Spiderverse movie!
- Lilo & Stitch Photo Wall: Get in the Hawaii mood with the Lilo & Stitch photo wall, and pretend you are back on the islands!
- …and a Secret Photo Wall: Only accessible by Gold Members in the Gold Member Lounge.
Exclusive First Look at NatGeo’s “The Right Stuff” at D23 Expo
National Geographic is bringing an exclusive sneak peek of their new show The Right Stuff to the convention. The Right Stuff is a scripted series, based on Tom Wolfe’s bestselling novel about the Mercury 7 astronauts.The stars: Jake McDorman, Colin O’Donoghue, Aaron Staton, Michael Trotter, Micah Stock, and James Lafferty as they talk to the crowd about the sneak peak and what more you can expect.
During the convention fans can meet the cast for a signing on Saturday, August 24, from 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. at Talent Central. Then the cast will head to the Center Stage from 2:30 to 3 p.m. for a Q&A about the series. The Right Stuff will premiere globally on National Geographic in 2020.
NatGeo Brings Brain Games to D23 Expo!
During San Diego Comic Con, we got to hang out at the NatGeo party that showcased some amazing things, including the Reboot of Brain Games, which returns on December 1, 2019.
To celebrate the return, NatGeo is coming to D23 Expo with Keegan-Michael Key to talk about the new series. This isn’t a sit back and relax panel though, be prepared to be tested, because there will be some challengers as Lior Suchard is a top-class mentalist. This panel takes place on Sunday, August 25, from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. in the D23 Expo Arena.
NatGeo Brings Women Of Impact to D23 Expo’s Stage 28
This is a panel we suggest you check out. This panel on On Saturday, August 24, from 10 to 11 a.m. on Stage 28 will be filled with women who are changing the world.
These are women who pilot submarines, hang with wild and dangerous animals, and tell amazing stories! So sit down with Erika Bergman, Lilly Sedaghat, and Dr. Rae Wynn-Grant to learn what it takes to be at the forfront of an industry.
Meet Disney Recruiters at the Disney Aspire Pavilion
This year, you can meet with Disney recruiters on the floor of the D23 Expo, for the first time ever. The Aspire program is the amazing program that Disney uses to invest in the education of their hourly employees.
If you are an approved employee within the program The Walt Disney Company will pay for 100% of the tuition up front at schools within the Disney Aspire network. I’ll repeat that. 100%! But Aspire doesn’t just cover tuition, they also cover books and fees for their employees. The program was originally started in 2018, offering over 290 degrees at 11 educational programs.
And has guidance for their employees from the start of the program all the way to graduation, without the usual program where the employee has to stay within the company after graduation, or sufferes a penalty payback program. Your education is yours, and is covered as long as you are an employee up to graduation!
So if you have been looking for a job, and wanted to be able to build your future as well, then you should head to the pavilion during the convention and speak to the recruiters.
Join the Disney Team of Heroes
In 2018, Disney told the world that they would be giving $100,000,000 to hospitals specializing in the care of children over the course of 5 years, in the Disney Team of Heroes initiative. Now you can help to, all while enjoying the fun of the convention. Head to the Social Responsibility Pavilion and you can work with disney, by being a “VoluntEAR”. Help put together hospital care packages the children who are of need of care at hopsitals covered by Disney’s program.